You are here: Home » Blog » Archives for hire electric heaters uk

Government funded heating system is more expensive than first thought

Heating systems in the UK that are said to be more efficient than usual have left families struggling to pay the bills.

The heating system used in the new government-funded affordable housing is said to be costing up to four times more than expected.

The heat is generated by an ‘exhaust air source heat pump’ that takes heat from waste air that leaves the house and then pumps it back in. This then provides heating and hot water.

Families are now said to have paid three to four times more than what the estimates said the new heating system would cost.

Energy Performance Certificates that accompanied the new properties estimated electricity and heating costs would be around £400 – £500 a year, but one resident’s electricity bill alone came through at £252 for just under 2 months. This led her to believe that the energy systems are not as cost efficient as the estimates suggested.

October 28, 2012 at 9:00 am | Heater costs |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Things to remember when buying a portable heater

There are a few checks that you should keep in mind when you’re out shopping for a portable heater.

It’s always important to take your safety into consideration, which is why if you remember just a few things you will reduce your risk of an electric heater related fire this winter.

You should only ever buy a portable heater with a suitable safeguard. This slows down the risk of fire and means that nothing can touch the electric heating directly.

You should also always check the box for warning signs to see if they are a potential fire hazard. The warning should tell you to keep combustible materials at least 3 feet away from the heater.

Things like furniture, bedding and curtains should be kept at bay for reassurance of safety.

It’s also essential for to get a portable heater that is the correct size for the area you wish to place it in, leaving the required space in between the heater and any combustibles.

If you can get one with a tip over safety switch that would be best, because that way you can be sure that even when accidents occur you’re still not at risk of experiencing a fire.

October 24, 2012 at 9:43 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

The return of winter calls for safety reminders for portable heater users

It’s that time of year when temperatures are preparing to severely drop, making us all want to reach for our blankets and turn up the dials on our household heating.

Following the return of those cold dark nights and brisk winds, many households and businesses are likely to bring out their portable electric heaters to help keep them cosy. This is always a good time to throw out a reminder to make sure you heat your homes and offices safely this winter.

Portable heaters cause approximately 700 fires in the UK each year and fires in the US caused by these appliances in the home kill around 70 people a year.

When you’re planning to use an electric heater indoors it’s always a good idea to check the device first, especially if it’s old. It’s also essential to carefully consider where to put the heater, as placing it near furniture, paper or bedding is more likely to cause a fire.

Anything that can easily burn should be kept 3 metres away from the heater. This way you can have peace of mind that you are both warm and safe inside – much more fun than being cold and miserable outside!

October 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Residents of Doncaster are urged to check their portable heaters

Doncaster council are offering free safety checks to ensure that residents are using their portable heaters safely this winter.

The Trading Standards team in committed to warning the public about fire hazards that can be caused by heaters, in order to tackle accident rates this year.

Portable heaters are said to cause around 700 fires per year and that the most common cause is due to heaters being used when the cables are worn or have defective plugs.

The team are organising a free event where residents will be encouraged to bring their portable heaters so that they can be tested for safety.

They have issued advice warning people to check them before use, especially if they have been stored away in the summer.

A few basic tips the Trading Standards team have issued regarding electric portable heaters include:

–              Check for excess dust

–              Check the plug to ensure it is intact

–              Position it 3 feet away from furniture on curtains

–              Use fireguards to protect children and pets

–              Never dry washing on them

October 20, 2012 at 10:30 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Heater catches fire in airing cupboard

An immersion heater that caught fire in a Sheffield house on Monday evening was likely to have suffered an electrical fault.

Fire fighters responded quickly after the smoke alarm fitted in the house went off when smoke was detected.

Crews from Elm Lane and Rivelin stations arrived at Monteney Crescent Ecclesfield just after 9pm.

The heater was located in the airing cupboard, which is where the fire began. Fire fighters were able to contain the fire mostly to the airing cupboard and bathroom.

Two occupants that were in the house at the time of the fire were unharmed.

October 18, 2012 at 10:00 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Electric heater causes fire in Texas

An electric heater has been determined as the cause of a fire which left a family’s mobile home completely destroyed.

The fire, which took place last Sunday in the US, was deemed an accident. Fire Marshalls said that an electric heater may have been knocked over or a dog may have pushed something into it, causing the heater to flame.

The mobile home suffered serious damage, but none of the family of seven that lived there were inside at the time.

The cause of the fire was determined just a few hours after it took place.

October 14, 2012 at 10:00 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

An ‘Oh Dear’ Moment for Heater Hire

Oopps this poor Iphone user lost his phone in an infra-red heater!!

It happened whilst he was facetiming his friend, he was chatting to her and the phone dropped in the heater- or maybe his phone was a bit chilly so wanted to get in the electric heater to warm up :D



An oh dear moment in deed!! :LOL:



September 27, 2012 at 9:00 am | heater hire |
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Get an electric heater to dry your walls after decorating

Once you have finish decorating or plastering in you home, one of the most inconvenient problems is waiting for it all to dry.

To avoid this, you can hire a swivel radiant heater which  can dry walls that have recently been painted or plastered.

The heater’s head can rotate 180 degrees, making it easy to dry different walls in your rooms.


September 25, 2012 at 9:00 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Electric heaters sent to Enfield estate after heating failure

Electric heaters are still not been fully restored for the families who live within a New Southgate housing estate based in Enfield North London and the residents were left without heating services for nearly a fortnight.

Around 100 people living at the Ladderswood Estate have been coping without heating since March 30th this year when pipes from the estates communial boiler burst.

Enfield Homes said it would fix the problem “as soon as possible”, but Brian Stewart, who lives in Curtis House, said no engineers were working at the site when this comment was made.

A letter has now been sent to all homes apologising for the problem and assuring residents that temporary electric heaters, which had been delivered to the estate had been mistakenly left in a basement, would now be given out to the families on the estate.

April 27, 2012 at 1:16 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:

Peterborough arts centre sent gas bill of over £77k – time to try electric heaters?

Staff at a small charity art centre in Peterborough were left shocked when they were wrongly sent a monthly gas bill for more than £77,000.

The Realitas Community Arts Centre have a budget of around £30 a month for gas bills from energy provider E.ON. But after querying a bill that said the centre owed £876.43, the small gallery was visited by E.ON workers who found that the correct amount had not been charged.

However, rather than sending the charity an invoice for the correct amount, the figure on the new invoice was dramatically raised to a staggering £77,815.85.

Electric heaters hire may be the answer for the arts centre to avoid such problems.

April 26, 2012 at 1:41 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post: