You are here: Home » Blog » Archives for gas heater

Investigation planned in Australia over faulty heating systems

Fears have arisen in Australia over faults with gas heating, insulation and ventilation in homes built during the 1990s.

Following the deaths of two young boys in May 2010, a coroner has said that she wants to examine heating systems as well as ventilation in Aussie homes in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning related deaths in the future.

She said that she intends to examine a number of factors including the heaters, house ventilation and exhaust fans.

The two young boys that were killed by a carbon monoxide leak from a bedroom heater, may have been victims of faulty heating and a lack of ventilation.

The heater was said to be covered in soot, which raises carbon monoxide levels and the well-sealed doors and windows meant that the house was not properly ventilated. An exhaust fan also posed as a hazard for the boys, as a lack of ventilation means that the fan encouraged the carbon monoxide to spread.

The coroner fears that similar features are common across other houses built throughout the 1990s and it is suspected that a number of houses may have been built with similar difficulties in areas nearby.

The investigation of the homes is set to take place in March next year.

November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/investigation-planned-in-australia-over-faulty-heating-systems/trackback

Fire Marshal confirms that heater caused house fire

A U.S fire marshal has confirmed that a house fire that took place last Thursday was caused by wall-mounted heater that fell on the floor.

The fire marshal spoke out about the investigation on Monday, saying that the heater, measuring around 2 by 2 and a half feet, was found detached from the wall.

The wall heater was a gas powered appliance and it is unclear as to whether it fell on the floor before or after the fire.

Fire departments received calls regarding the fire around 4am on Thursday morning.

November 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/fire-marshal-confirms-that-heater-caused-house-fire/trackback

Mother raises awareness after her sons are killed by gas heater leak

Two Australian children who were killed by toxic, odourless carbon-monoxide fumes, which leaked from a gas heater in their home, have had their memory cherished by their mother.

The incident took place in May 2010, and the boys’ parents have since started an awareness campaign to improve gas and fossil fuel safety in Australian homes.

The mother woke up in a daze at the time of the leak. Her arm was limp and she could not wake the boys.

The leak has left her with on-going medical problems including memory loss and damage to her heat and liver.

The 31 year old named the foundation after her sons, Chase and Tyler. She is strongly passionate about raising awareness regarding carbon-monoxide poisoning caused by home appliances, such as a gas heater. She urges people to buy gas detectors, in order to save lives.

November 1, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/mother-raises-awareness-after-her-sons-are-killed-by-gas-heater-leak/trackback

Are flueless fires safe?

Flueless fires provide heat and fire in a room that has no chimney, pipe or a duct to provide somewhere for the gases produced to be distributed.

They can be fitted in most rooms as long as they have a 100 square centimetre air vent that is one metre from the fire and as long as the room has a window that opens.

Flueless fires are gas heaters, which means they produce water vapour and carbon dioxide, as well as carbon monoxide if oxygen is in short supply.

This can be unsafe as there is no flue to direct these gases outside, which means they can leak out in the house. Water vapour causes condensation and humidity inside, carbon dioxide causes sleepiness and carbon monoxide is a serious risk to the health of anyone who is inhaling it.

This supports the argument that flueless fires may not be the safest option for standard home living. They are similar to gas cookers that have no ventilation above them, which are regularly used in many homes. However, flueless fires a likely to be used for longer periods of time than a gas cooker, which means a larger amount of unsafe gases will be distributed into the home.

If a fire with a flue can be fitted into the home, it is often a safer choice to go with as you can enjoy your cosy fire without having to worry about being poisoned at any period of time!

October 26, 2012 at 11:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/are-flueless-fires-safe/trackback

Gas heater explosion left six people injured at campsite

Last Saturday night a gas heater caught fire and exploded in a family’s tent at a campsite in Oxfordshire.

The tent, located on Hardwick Park near Witney, set fire after the gas heater was left on during the evening to keep the tent warm.

Four family members, who were in the tent at the time, were subject to minor burns and smoke inhalation. Two staff members were also injured after rushing to help when they overheard the bang.

Fire and rescue crews arrived at the campsite and all six people were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

The family members who were injured were also camping with a further two people who avoided injury as they were not in the tent at the time of the explosion.

Station manager, Simon Belcher said he’d never recommend gas heaters in tents due to overheating and potential carbon monoxide poisoning.

October 16, 2012 at 11:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/gas-heater-explosion-left-six-people-injured-at-campsite/trackback