You are here: Home » Blog » Archives for carbon monoxide poisoning

Investigation planned in Australia over faulty heating systems

Fears have arisen in Australia over faults with gas heating, insulation and ventilation in homes built during the 1990s.

Following the deaths of two young boys in May 2010, a coroner has said that she wants to examine heating systems as well as ventilation in Aussie homes in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning related deaths in the future.

She said that she intends to examine a number of factors including the heaters, house ventilation and exhaust fans.

The two young boys that were killed by a carbon monoxide leak from a bedroom heater, may have been victims of faulty heating and a lack of ventilation.

The heater was said to be covered in soot, which raises carbon monoxide levels and the well-sealed doors and windows meant that the house was not properly ventilated. An exhaust fan also posed as a hazard for the boys, as a lack of ventilation means that the fan encouraged the carbon monoxide to spread.

The coroner fears that similar features are common across other houses built throughout the 1990s and it is suspected that a number of houses may have been built with similar difficulties in areas nearby.

The investigation of the homes is set to take place in March next year.

November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/investigation-planned-in-australia-over-faulty-heating-systems/trackback

Mother raises awareness after her sons are killed by gas heater leak

Two Australian children who were killed by toxic, odourless carbon-monoxide fumes, which leaked from a gas heater in their home, have had their memory cherished by their mother.

The incident took place in May 2010, and the boys’ parents have since started an awareness campaign to improve gas and fossil fuel safety in Australian homes.

The mother woke up in a daze at the time of the leak. Her arm was limp and she could not wake the boys.

The leak has left her with on-going medical problems including memory loss and damage to her heat and liver.

The 31 year old named the foundation after her sons, Chase and Tyler. She is strongly passionate about raising awareness regarding carbon-monoxide poisoning caused by home appliances, such as a gas heater. She urges people to buy gas detectors, in order to save lives.

November 1, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/mother-raises-awareness-after-her-sons-are-killed-by-gas-heater-leak/trackback