You are here: Home » Blog » Archives for November 2012

House fire in U.S is triggered by pillow and electric heater

Another house fire took place in the U.S this week as a result of an electric heater.

Fire fighters rushed to the Jersey City home on Tuesday afternoon after an electric heater caused a pillow to catch on fire.

The electric heater’s power accidently came on when electricity was restored in the house. Prior to the fire, the homes electricity was off because of a power outage.

Fire fighters managed to put the fire out after one of them found smoke coming from the basement of the building where the fire occurred.

It has been assumed that the pillow was placed next to the heater by someone in the house without them knowing that the heater was still plugged in.

November 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/house-fire-in-u-s-is-triggered-by-pillow-and-electric-heater/trackback

Investigation planned in Australia over faulty heating systems

Fears have arisen in Australia over faults with gas heating, insulation and ventilation in homes built during the 1990s.

Following the deaths of two young boys in May 2010, a coroner has said that she wants to examine heating systems as well as ventilation in Aussie homes in order to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning related deaths in the future.

She said that she intends to examine a number of factors including the heaters, house ventilation and exhaust fans.

The two young boys that were killed by a carbon monoxide leak from a bedroom heater, may have been victims of faulty heating and a lack of ventilation.

The heater was said to be covered in soot, which raises carbon monoxide levels and the well-sealed doors and windows meant that the house was not properly ventilated. An exhaust fan also posed as a hazard for the boys, as a lack of ventilation means that the fan encouraged the carbon monoxide to spread.

The coroner fears that similar features are common across other houses built throughout the 1990s and it is suspected that a number of houses may have been built with similar difficulties in areas nearby.

The investigation of the homes is set to take place in March next year.

November 9, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/investigation-planned-in-australia-over-faulty-heating-systems/trackback

Fire Marshal confirms that heater caused house fire

A U.S fire marshal has confirmed that a house fire that took place last Thursday was caused by wall-mounted heater that fell on the floor.

The fire marshal spoke out about the investigation on Monday, saying that the heater, measuring around 2 by 2 and a half feet, was found detached from the wall.

The wall heater was a gas powered appliance and it is unclear as to whether it fell on the floor before or after the fire.

Fire departments received calls regarding the fire around 4am on Thursday morning.

November 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/fire-marshal-confirms-that-heater-caused-house-fire/trackback

Consumer Reports do safety tests on space heaters

It’s the time of year where sales for space heaters are on the up to help keep people warm during the chilly winter months.

Because these self-contained portable devices cause around 1,700 house fires per year as well as approximately 70 deaths, Consumer Reports decided to test which ones may be the safest to use in the home.

After testing 19 portable electric heaters, they decided what the obvious risks were. They checked for suitable safeguards, which are a must, and they assessed whether the overheat sensor turns the heater off before it poses as a fire risk.

Consumer Reports used test fabric to see if the heat sensors were activated in time.

Following their tests they found that the Optimus H-5210 space heater’s sensor did not activate in time and the fabric caught fire within minutes of being placed on the unit.

The non-profit organisation did find that this mode came with a ‘Risk of fire’ warning on purchase.

However they confirmed that there was a potential safety problem when purchasing this model as it was the only one out of the 19 that they had tested that caught fire.

No matter which heater you use, CR urges everyone to keep fabrics and combustibles away from heaters at all times.

November 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/consumer-reports-do-safety-tests-on-space-heaters/trackback

Electric heater causes house fire in U.S

The Daytona Beach Fire Department in the U.S has said that a house fire was the result of an electric heater problem.

The fire, which took place on Tuesday morning at 5am, generated heavy smoke and flames that came from the house.

Fire fighters arrived at the scene and were able to contain the blaze to the rear bedroom of the home.

They were able to minimise damage to the house after the heater malfunctioned in the bedroom where the fire began.

Sparks were said to have been coming out of the heater shortly before the fire began. Luckily there were no injuries as a result of the fire.

As a result of the fire, the U.S Fire Administration want to remind people to check the wiring on all electric heaters to make sure it is installed incorrectly, as well as check for overloaded circuits and extension cords.

November 3, 2012 at 10:00 am | electric heaters |
Tags: , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/electric-heater-causes-house-fire-in-u-s/trackback

Mother raises awareness after her sons are killed by gas heater leak

Two Australian children who were killed by toxic, odourless carbon-monoxide fumes, which leaked from a gas heater in their home, have had their memory cherished by their mother.

The incident took place in May 2010, and the boys’ parents have since started an awareness campaign to improve gas and fossil fuel safety in Australian homes.

The mother woke up in a daze at the time of the leak. Her arm was limp and she could not wake the boys.

The leak has left her with on-going medical problems including memory loss and damage to her heat and liver.

The 31 year old named the foundation after her sons, Chase and Tyler. She is strongly passionate about raising awareness regarding carbon-monoxide poisoning caused by home appliances, such as a gas heater. She urges people to buy gas detectors, in order to save lives.

November 1, 2012 at 10:00 am | Gas heater |
Tags: , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Trackback URL for this post:
http://www.topheaterhire.com/mother-raises-awareness-after-her-sons-are-killed-by-gas-heater-leak/trackback